9.11.2011

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?

Are you ready for a long && heavy post?  
firefighters1024_768
Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?

Lyrics from "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)"

I can't write a post today and not address those lives of innocent people that were taken 10 years ago.  When the airplane crashes had occurred, I was only 8, I was in the third grade.  I didn't find out about it until I got to school because my mom and I don't watch television or listen to the radio in the morning.  My teacher had turned on the television in class, and we watched the news for a good twenty minutes.  I didn't fully comprehend what was happening.  I understood that this crash was in New York, but my young brain didn't realize the effects it would have on not only the victim's families but people all over America.  It's sad to say, but my heart has never been so heavy about 9/11 than today.  I think that's because this was the first time I was in church on 9/11 (btw, I've only been going to church for almost a year).  The service today was so inspiring! We talked about 9/11 and those families that it affected.  We prayed for them and we talked about how we must look to God in times of Crisis, but not must we look to Him when times are bad; we must pray to Him always- through the good and the bad.  I just want to take this moment and remember those that passed on 9/11.  I want to pray for everyone that was affected by the plane crashes on 9/11- the victims, the families that lost loved ones, those "9/11 children" that will never know their mother or father, the heroes that died and survived in attempt to save someone, and those that continue to grieve.


There was something that a person said today that really broke my heart...  
"I'm really tired of this 9/11 stuff.  It's everywhere- the magazines, the television, sports.  It's been 10 years, move on." 

To say that I was flabbergasted is an understatement, I was disgusted when I heard this.  I didn't say anything, no one did.  I was just trying to wrap my brain around the reason why someone could say something so horrible, so hateful.  How could anyone say that? How could an American say that? I don't understand.  It doesn't matter if it's been a decade since that terrifying day, it still hurt; even for those that weren't directly affected in the sense of losing someone.  
We mustn't forget about that day, 
we mustn't forget those innocent lives that were taken, 
we mustn't forget those that are still affected by that terrible day.

It is irrevocably intertwined in our lives as Americans.  
We mustn't forget




No comments:

Post a Comment